Hi there,

I'd like to continue the discussion about integration testing (see
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Testing+Strategies). Here are some
topics on which I'd like to get your opinion:

1) Need for a pre/post phase to integration-test. See
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1880.

I guess this could be implemented very quickly. Isn't it just a matter of
adding 2 new phases in components.xml?

Do we all agree on the need for this?

2) I think there are use cases when we want to have the integration tests in
the same module as what they are testing. For example, take the case of an
ejb project. I think the project could have both unit tests and integration
tests in the same module. Functional tests is another matter and I'd usually
see them in a separate module altogether (as they usually require several
modules to be built).

ejb/
  src/
    main/
    test/
      java/ (unit tests - shouldn't be called java really)
      it/ (integration tests)

I have a use case for the daytrader build where I need to do this. I'd like
to have some it tests next to some unit tests. The reason I want them in the
same module is because I want to have 1 or 2 it tests to act as a quick
proof that the ejb code works. It's not meant to replace functional tests
which I'm also doing but in some other module.

I don't think the surefire plugin support this right now. The problem is
that it's using configuration elements defined outside of the <plugin>
section in the pom so I don't think it's currently possible to have several
executions of it with different configurations.

Another option is to have an it plugin which is basically the same as the
surefire plugin but bound at different phases and using different
configuration elements.

Which solution do we want?

Note: the current it plugin is probably not correctly named as it makes
sense only for performing integration tests for m2 plugin.

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent