On 3/9/06, John Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <snip/>
>
> I agree with you on that point. My point was that physical separation of
> the websites might not be appropriate or necessary, since IMO every ASF
> project that releases a product (not an API) should apply this advice,
> and therefore should have a user-driven aspect, behind which lurks a
> developer-driven section, one click away. The developer pages don't have
> to invade the landing page, but there should be a link (to elsewhere on
> the same physical web site).

Sure.  maybe the same physical web site maybe a different one.  The
Developer and User sites might share a color scheme and a logo, but they
should be able to have completely different structure.   completely
different layout, different context, etc.    I'm convinced Maven needs a
focused documentation project.  I'm not convinced that it makes sense to
house that project within the foundation.  That's what drives my suggestion
about a Maven user site being totally separate from a developer site.

Here's where I think we miss.  In the absence of a Maven plugin that creates
a site that a designer can really control, can really customize.  That has
DIV structure and CSS that a designer can be happy with, we probably won't
enable people to get to the point where they can apply a good design to a
Maven site.

> >> It's not a simple hierarchy, but then, we have a great deal of
> variation
> >> among our audience members. As these audience members [possibly]
> >> transition from users to contributors and so on, we don't want a
> >> separation like this to get in their way...there should be *some*
> >> cohesiveness, I would think...
> >

> See my comments above. Again, this isn't about merging the developer and
> user communities, forcing them to read the same webpages and filter the
> content that pertains to them. It's about whether we want to move toward
> uniting all of the Maven project content to make it look like part of
> the same site, albeit in different sections. I can't think of very many
> people who might disagree that our site needs some organizational help,
> and a heavy-ish touch of user-friendliness.

And again, I think that the "Maven site" should be a lot more like a
community site that aggregates blogs, lists articles, news items.  In the
absence of a runtime container uses some Javscript to display RSS feeds of
the last 10 user posts.

Look around at Sourceforge sometime, and see how many of the non-Maven
> sites out there are well-designed.

The medocrity of the average shouldn't be the argument here.  If Maven
intends to revolutionize the way people approach software projects.   It
should strive to solve this problem as elegantly as it solves dependency
management.