Brett Porter wrote:
It depends on how you use them as to the best solution here. I assume that they are customised for cocoon, so they shouldn't be considered to be the same as the original. In that case, I'd suggest you release them under your own groupID (maybe org.apache.cocoon.thirdparty) so that they don't conflict (bearing in mind that someone will transitively receive both that and the original if they are both used). I'm assuming this isn't the case as you are only bundling these modified versions into a distributable app, not as part of a reusable component?

Hope this helps,
Brett

Actually, I'm not exactly sure why non-released jars are currently included, but I'm almost certain that in most cases it is not because it is customized for Cocoon. In looking in our latest 2.1.9 release (which isn't built with Maven) I see that jcs, chaperon, jackrabbit, deli, dojo, jing, joost, myfaces, poi, wsrp4j, xmldb and xreporter were all included in the release from some interim version that is probably unknown to those projects. I suspect for many of them this was done because they included critical fixes. Since Cocoon contains so many third party jars we would either have to make releases knowing that some things are broken or never put out a release.

However, your point about naming them o.a.c.thirdparty is well taken (at least by me). A complaint I frequently have had is that it is often difficult to locate the exact source that was used to create the jar. Sometimes they are named with the svn revision with makes it easy. Sometimes they have a datestamp, which isn't necessarily guaranteed to get you the exact source, and sometimes they have a name like wsrp4j-shared-0.3-dev.jar (wsrp4j is in inclubator and I don't believe it has ever done a release, but this version number is really bad since there is no tag in svn matching 0.3-dev that I can see). In wsrp4j's case, I'm fairly sure Cocoon's usage of it is considered experimental - it gives users a way to have early access to it for experimentation purposes.

Ralph