Brett Porter wrote:

> The first thing I'd suggest is for those having problems to try another
> mirror. I know requiring everyone to do that is a pain and not a long
> term solution, but I'd like to see how much that reduces the problem.

I'm not sure if the following problem has already been mentioned in this
thread as somehow my mail client messed up :(

We experience problems like the build is working on one machine while
not on another one. The reason for this is changing poms on the public
repository! M2 does not recognize when a pom is changed on the
repository, so once you have a pom for a dependency it's never updated.
If now someone builds before the update he has the old version while
someone who builds after the update for the first time, gets the new
version.
And this is exactly the reason why on some machines our build works
(they have the new version of a dependency which brings in other
transitive dependencies). It took us some time to recognize this as one
of the main problems.

Obviously, a pom in a public repository should never change, but as
there are faulty poms out there, these need to be fixed. So its very
likely that this will still happen in the future.
So it would be good if m2 could detect changes in the pom and then
update the local version. This would at least solve most of our problems.

I'm still thinking that adding a switch "turn off transitive dependency
handling" would be a nice think as then you really control what you get
without adding excludes all over the place.

And it seems that m2 is trying to get poms for snapshots even in offline
mode (haven't checked if this is filed as a bug already) and more
important it downloads snapshot versions from the repository although a
newer version of the snapshot is in the local repository. And the
interesting thing is, that although a version has been downloaded, the
local one is later on used.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/