Andrew Williams wrote on Friday, July 07, 2006 12:16 PM:

> -1 We have to support 1.4 as we a re rolling into academic
> environments where the upgrade cycle is > 3 years, so many users are
> still
> new to 1.4
> (though they do not know it). And to be honest I just don't trust 1.5
> generating 1.4 code...

Well, when Sun released 1.5 they also proposed, that a new JDK version will now
follow every year (and Sun will phase out the support for the old ones
therefore much earlier). If they really mange to do so, you will get really out
of sync. Meanwhile even some of our customers of the financial business
realized this and they already start to upgrade (although they are
traditionally *very* conservative).

- Jörg