Brett Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

If you use maven to develop for a J2EE 1.2/1.3 target enviroment, your
code is required to run on JDK 1.4

A continuum run that builds that code targeted for 1.4 using a JDK 5
is pretty much useless because it doesn't build what must get
deployed.

If you are talking about a Java 5 requirement to run the various
tools, fine. But please keep the option to use an 1.4 compliant
compiler to do the actual test builds.

        Best regards
                Henning

>Hi,

>I wanted to get thoughts on starting to require a Java 5 JVM to run
>stuff we build. We currently restrict to 1.4 across the board.

>Here's what I'm thinking:
>- MRM and Continuum should switch now. Stuff built there is rarely
>consumed elsewhere, and a Java 5 requirement outside of that is reasonable
>- We could switch for Maven 2.1, as long as we have improved support for
>invoking external toolchains. This would facilitate doing some much
>nicer stuff with plugins like annotations.
>- A generified plexus would be very cool, but is an aside here and post
>plexus-1.0 in my opinion.
>- I think it's best to keep the lower requirement on Doxia, Surefire
>(1.3), and Wagon for now.

>Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

>I'll likely propose a vote on the first point before the first/next
>releases of them unless there are reasons not to.

>Cheers,
>Brett

>--
>Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/
>Better Builds with Maven - http://library.mergere.com/

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia