The 2.8 SNAPSHOT version was just an unofficial release that was
deployed while the testng support in official one (2.3-SNAPSHOT) was
broken.
Now the patches needed for testNg support have been incorporated and
the "official" surefire plugin works *ehm worked* fine with TestNg.

"Worked" because it looks like a recent commit has broken things again
but the last snapshot deployed in the repository doesn't have this
regression. So if you use the latest official snapshot of the surefire
plugin (which in turn will download the latest snapshot available for
the surefire testng provider) your TestNG tests will work properly.

fabrizio