On 05/09/2006, at 11:32 AM, Wendell Beckwith wrote:

I can imagine wanting to plug into maven before it gets going and after it has stopped. The current patch only handles the initialization phase but it would not be too much more to add a finalization phase too. I doubt it would be possible/practical to try and know how everything will eventually
shake out ahead of time.  Instead it would be more practical to allow
plugins/external entities to register as framework listeners and notify them of certain events. Thus if a new source root is added the IDE could be
informed and it could take the appropriate action, whatever that is.

I think the solution we talked about was a "dry run" execution through the embedder. All the plugins get run, but they don't do anything except populate the parameters they would given the configuration they are provided.

Would require a decent change to the plugin API though!

- Brett