Thanks for the hint, Dan, this actually works perfectly!
I wasn't aware of this way to specify the JAR. It would be worth updating
the documentation of the Checkstyle plugin. I will create a JIRA issue for
this.

FYI, Jason, yes, I've executed the test project on the bane of your
existence ;-)
 - Windows XP with Java 1.5.0_06
 - Windows 2k with Java 1.4.2_02
So even if this way of using the build extension is deprecated, I think this
remains a bug on Windows.

Anyways, everything works fine now.

So here is my (non-binding) +1 :-)
Fabrice.