I agree.  I am suggesting that it's a little too easy to use SNAPSHOTs
and that all that wonderful time maven was supposed to save you in
preparing releases is trumped by the time it takes to just append
-SNAPSHOT to a version number.  Sure, it's people abusing it, but it's
easy to abuse and looks like it's officially condoned as proper
behavior.  Things get even murkier when transitive dependencies are
considered.  So, I'm not suggesting dumping SNAPSHOT wholesale, but
making it more difficult to distribute an artifact via SNAPSHOT (maybe
require the end user to have to agree to use a new SNAPSHOT each time
one is available or something).

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I will say that this matter
has bitten the Cayenne team a few times now, and we've come close to
dumping maven altogether.  It got to the point where we had to start
pinning SNAPSHOTs by timestamp via a guess and check method.  Perhaps
the plugin Nigel suggested would help matters, though.

--
Kevin