Thanks John!

comments inline...

On 15/09/2007, at 3:07 AM, John Casey wrote:

1. We should put a piece of repository metadata at the root that gives the repository id, to help eliminate/reduce the proliferation of new and creative repository ids.

+1

Understandably, much of this gets us off-topic pretty quickly, but it's worth noting that this sort of advanced organization becomes a lot more approachable when we can track the effects of a remote repository right down to our own hard disks.

Yeah - I was thinking it might be best to just assume the current id structure for this proposal, and then have a separate one for locking it down (so this would automatically receive the benefits). I think someone else said they'd write it, but would need to check my notes.

Does that sound feasible to you, to avoid this getting off-topic?

2. Workspaces should be something you have to set consciously, not automatically created. This allows an integration-testing run (for example) to run in isolation by using a different workspace id, and clean up after itself when finished.

Agreed.

3. As noted before, this proposal really seems to be less about sharing a local repository and more about organizing the local repository for more efficient usage. However, in cases where the immutable cache/ dir can be shared between processes on the localhost (maybe two builds by two users, maybe CI, who knows?) there should be an ability to configure the location of this cache/ dir in the local repository root or something, to allow multiple local repositories to point at one cache/ dir. This is more about reducing latency from the network and hard disk usage (which not insignificant when it grow to multiple gigs) than it is about creating an isolated de facto remote repository on some localhost. I also think each artifact in the cache dir should be tagged with its originating repository, fwiw, so we have a little more of an audit trail to work with (in case one repository is corrupted or compromised).

Thanks, I'll include these.

Cheers,
Brett

--