Christian Gruber wrote:
Hmm. I'm liking how this is all shaping up, but I'm wondering about the "in the top level pom" bit. Already some things we do assuming a reactor build are confusing because each project is built separately, and when you start getting into continuum which essentially replaces the reactor with its own per-sub-project build infrastructure to allow only parts of the build that are relevant/changed to be executed, and any assumptions of parent location are off. I think causing this to go project at a time, and have workspace_repo per subproject would probably be more supportive of the overall rather independent nature of maven sub projects.

Ofcourse. If you build a project standalone in a CI, you already have a special
environment: it is assumed that you only checked out that subproject, and
that other artifacts are present in remote repo's, or in the local repo.
The latter however assumes that if the dependencies are not deployed yet,
someone did a local build before you build this project. This doesn't work
well for humans doing builds, but for a CI taking this type of control
in it's own 'hands', the local repo also reflects what has been built.

So yes, having 'global' workspaces is definitely useful for CI systems
building different sets of projects (from different SCM systems perhaps).

If a CI only builds 1 project (-N, no reactor), then a per-build
workspace isn't needed. But a per reactor-build local workspace
as a default, when there are multiple projects in the reactor, as a default,
seems useful to me.

-- Kenney

Christian.