I might have another usecase in toolchains
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains)
A toolchain definition that is not part of the default set needs to be
added as extension to the build. It's accessed by multiple plugins and
therefore it's rather impractical to add it as dependency to each
plugin that uses it.

Milos