On 4-Feb-08, at 3:37 PM, Jan Nielsen wrote:

FWIW, I (and probably 99.9% of the Maven user-base) have desired just
this kind of option for plugins for a  l o o o n g  time. Something
like:

 mvn nifty help
 mvn nifty -h
 mvn nifty --help
 mvn nifty:help

This one is fine. As it doesn't need to go into the CLI, it's just part of the plugin.

 mvn nifty:option
 mvn nifty

and if you do:

 mvn nifty:invalid

you just get the help (where "nifty" is any plugin; "any", as in for
all plugins...if the plugin can be downloaded, help is there). That's
pretty canonical CLI behavior.

I think everyone could live with the "mvn foo:help".

I don't know whether that's something that requires a modification to
the core of Maven, or not, and I really don't care. It's a huge
dis-service to all users to not have this available, thereby forcing
the user to chase down the web-page for every plugin they have an
interest in. Finding the definitive help information for a plugin
should be absolutely trivial and built-in; having the CLI option which
give the code-you-are-executing-right-now the ability to answer that
question avoids the issues we have today with multiple sources for a
plugin with different HTML usage information.

And while I'm at it, and relatedly, whatever happened to "-G" to get
me a list of all plugins??? I know it ain't easy, but how about giving
me a list of all the names of the plugins found in the configured
repositories when I do "mvn -G", or "mvn plugin:help", or "mvn
plugin:list", ....whatever. Cache the result in the repositories if
you need to, but make it easy for the user to find and use plugins.
And I might as well chuck in: why in the world do I need to do "mvn
nifty:nifty" and not just "mvn nifty"? Yes; a plugin can have more
than one goal - that's great; but if I do "mvn nifty" it just means
"mvn nifty:nifty" and if I do "mvn nifty:wizbang" well, then that's
the wizbang goal of the nifty plugin.

-Jan