It's really the other way around - the Maven core should remain backwards compatible with all plugins. However sometimes core features are introduced that plugins need, and that's when they state a minimum requirement. I do agree that better documenting this in the plugin sites would be helpful - it's the <prerequisites> tag in the POM for the plugin.