From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Paul Benedict
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:23 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Maven and preset plugin versions

I've been watching the discussions about introducing a fix set of plugin
versions per Maven version. I see benefit and drawback to each side of
the
argument.

Here is another proposal which is dear to my pain :-)

Provide the minimal compatible version of each plugin (of group
org.apache.maven.plugins) in the super pom. For instance, when I
upgraded to
Maven 2.0.8, it would have been nice (stupendous!) to automatically be
bumped to surefire 2.4 because the two truly needed each other in
integration testing. I imagine there are other cases when plugins have
dependencies on other parts of the Maven core, but I could be wrong. The
desire is for children pom to provide the "better" versions if
necessary,
but Maven should at least provide the minimum versions.

Paul