>I can't see why overriding model values makes any sense from the
>command line - that's not what Olivier wanted but rather a straight
>substitution.

You shouldn't be able to override model values for sure. I was saying
that if something is defined on the CLI for everything else, it should
take precedence.

>The only change I can think of here is to have previous behaviour from

>${version} and make sure ${project.version} is unaffected, but that's
>a significant change to the interpolator.

That's not promising.

>I think we're better off leaving this fix in with something in the
>release notes.

I don't. We need to stop shoving incompatible changes down the user's
throats. It shouldn't always require reworking of your poms to upgrade
to the next maven version. That's annoying and wrong. If we do need to
make changes, and I agree that forward progress must be made that
sometimes breaks stuff, it should be deprecated first so people can get
a chance to fix their poms.

Based on the votes and comments in the issue, it's clear we can't just
revert it either...We need to fix this correctly.