On 28/03/2008, at 6:37 AM, Paul Benedict wrote:

Brian, what do you consider the correct fix? That CLI takes precedence over POM properties? I was trying to glean through this chain to find out your
proposal.

The "most correct" fix is:
a) -Dversion should still replace ${version}
b) -Dversion should not replace ${project.version}
c) ${version} should evaluate to ${project.version} if nothing else specified (though this should be deprecated behaviour).

The same applies for every other pom property, not just version.

The problem with my fix is that (a) no longer holds, though reverting would sacrifice (b).

On IRC, John said he has a potential fix that makes (a) hold, and while (b) doesn't, it mitigates the main observed side effect which is -Dversion coming in from the environment, rather than the command line. This is the least risk, but it's also another new behaviour we may not want to preserve.

Fixing (a) + (b) is possible, but also risks some other regression in (c).

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]