The activeByDefault flag was originally designed to allow profiles to work as a group, with a default selection. Obviously, it's an incomplete design, since it doesn't allow for profiles that _aren't_ part of that grouping to be activated/deactivated independently. As for the default profiles remaining active until deactivated, I think this would be the most intuitive behavior, though I'd still really like to see profile groups where there can be a default "selection" that is active unless another profile in that group is activated. Also, in the past there has been some quirks with the deactivation flag, that seemed to keep it from working (at least in some cases). No, I don't have specifics, but I can remember it coming up before. :) I think if we straighten out the notation for activating/ deactivating, then make sure it works on all platforms (it may have been something about commons-cli snagging on a leading '-' for the deactivation of a single profile), we should make defaults stay active until deactivated. Later, if we find a good mechanism for the profile grouping I was originally striving for, we can implement it in 2.2+ or something.

As for the E: and D: prefixes, this is something I threw in the other day to see if it would improve things. I wasn't sure whether it was a good idea or not, but it's easy enough to take out since nothing has been released. Also, I think having '!' in there is a good idea, even though +/- are already in use. What's the harm in adding more than one way of doing this?

-john