Hi,
Agree with Vincent, they must be activated by default (for me it tests
are similar to a junit tests).
And as we have documented in the surefire mojo : "skip ... Its use is
NOT RECOMMENDED .."

By the way I can add some extra parameters during my build.

But I can forget and maybe commit something which failed and deploy a
snapshot which failed too. (you know like me the story about the
failure with plexus-component-api which break with mvn and not with
junit tests).

If we desactivate this, IMHO  running its must be at least activated
in the release profile.

--
Olivier