John,

Now in the 2.0.x panel there is now a way to do an RC, promote it, and then use it in the community test projects.

So the process would be:

1. Build the RC
http://ci.sonatype.org/view/Maven%202.0.x/job/Maven%202.0.10-RC/

2. If that's cool, then promote the distribution
http://ci.sonatype.org/view/Maven%202.0.x/job/Promote%202.0.x%20RC/

3. Then you can run the community projects

Some things you need to be aware of:

1. If you bump to the next RC, you need to change the version the promotion script points to. You change that in the promotion job. It's pretty brain dead, it just moves a distribution in the hudson home directory from XXX-SNAPSHOT to XXX. I am pointing all the community builds at the XXX version. So the SNAPSHOT-XXX is promoted to XXX and then I have installations configured in Hudson.

2. We need to create a new Maven installation when we bump the RC version. So in this case for the 2.0.10-RC7 I have an installation and when we make 2.0.10-RC8 if we need to we have to make an installation.

Anyway, we can smoke test as many projects as we can get a hold of.