>- we have deployment of the IT plugins to a repository even as
>snapshots, though I thought it was required to be pre-installed based
>on the bits below?
Everything is ready now for them to be deployed as releases to a repo
that is separate from Central to avoid the clashes that people saw
before.

>but I'd
>like to understand the technical reasons for choosing the bootstrap,
>etc. over the unpack-and-run approach of maven-core-it-runner before
>it disappears completely. The only one I've heard described was the
>possibility of the IT artifacts in the repo being out of date, but
>that's irrelevant in a CI situation and they seem to be getting
>deployed above anyway.

John and I came up with this solution because it was frustrating always
trying to chase either the maven snapshot or the it snapshot when things
were committed. By putting it into the bootstrap, we now have a single
execution that builds both Maven and the Its and then run them together.
A single atomic unit. I still see some value in the unpack-and-run
approach personally but I also think having multiple ways to run Its is
annoying to explain to new users. I think the bootstrap one is easy.

>I also think it makes sense to release the integration tests that were

>used to verify a particular release of Maven so we always have that
>locked in. Otherwise as the ITs change, we have a different measure of

>what worked in 2.0.x and what didn't. The runner approach is much
>better suited to this rather than checking it out from a tag each time.

Agreed.