On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:51 AM, Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> This is primarily directed at Benjamin (who has done a great job getting the
> ITs in shape), John (who has spent a great deal of time getting our grid up
> and running), and Tom (who has made some very cool additions to Hudson which
> we will leverage for Maven).
>
> Today we started being able to build Maven 3.x across the grid but now it's
> time to get serious about doing some layering for speed and completeness.
>
> Tom has some very cool additions to Hudson that allow us to write plugins in
> Hudson as Plexus components and one of the first plugins Tom has written is
> a way to propagate a successful bootstrap of Maven across a set of projects.
> This plugin combined with the greatly improved ITs for the core and the
> fleshing out of the ITs for all the core plugins will allow us to really
> start hammering down on 3.x.
>
> By layering I think that a canonical system should be picked, say Ubuntu,
> and that should be a fast compile-only smoke test to look for breakages. If
> that works trigger the tests, if that works propagate to the grid, do the
> build and run the ITs. Then layer in plugin tests maybe daily. That may not
> be the perfect workflow and we should put this in the wiki. Once we pick a
> work flow we can probably write any plugins we need. We can also start
> selectively taking any useful components from Continuum as they should now
> work in Hudson. The Plexus integration was checked into Hudson about a month
> ago by Tom.
>
> Tom/John, I don't know how long it will take to finish the maven integration
> testing plugin and get all the nodes updated. But I can do the dirty trick
> that I did before which was the let the bootstrap feed into a predefined
> Maven installation location. I just want to get the ITs triggered correctly
> using the version of Maven built by the bootstrap.

Actually what was checked in to Hudson is a way to plug into the
plugin mechanism itself. The Plexus integration is a possible
implementation of that, but is not publicly available.

The Hudson plugin for maven integration testing that I wrote is not
based on the Plexus integration.
It provides two things:
- a build trigger that monitors for the availability of a new Maven
version (e.g. a new snapshot or new RC)
- a Maven builder that downloads and installs the Maven version prior
to running a build
Important to note is that this will work too for a Maven that is built
on another (remote) Hudson.
So anyone could configure it to track nightly builds or release
candidates, and continously build their own projects using the latest
Maven version.
And of course it can be used too to build the maven ITs themselves.

There's still a little work to do.
- For starters it currently depends on having the Maven build as an
archived artifact in Hudson, but perhaps it's more desirable to get
them from a Maven repository ?
- There should be a clear way to identify which Maven version was used
- It's not threadsafe yet, so multiple concurrent builds with the same
builder would definitely go wrong.

Tom