From: Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
To: Maven Developers List <dev@maven.apache.org>
Sent: Wed Jul 08 20:58:43 2009
Subject: Re: Depending on Artifacts not in central

On 8-Jul-09, at 6:57 PM, Stan Devitt wrote:

> The only thing that halfway works for rebuilt / modified artifacts
> is to modify the version number (e.g.  3.5-mod-by-NameOModifier).

I agree.

As once the patches reach the OSS project it is much easier to make
the change to use the updated library.

Paul, but do you rebuild the whole transitive chain?

If you actually rebuild everything -- which I though was your policy
-- then you are really the maintainer of the transitive chain for your
users. Even if you take a tag and rebuild it yourself you've tampered
with a released version someone has signed and then becomes your
responsibility. If you break it, you buy it. You rebuild it, you own it.

> Stan

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/SonatypeNexus
http://twitter.com/SonatypeM2E

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance