From: Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
To: Maven Developers List <dev@maven.apache.org>
Sent: Wed Jul 08 17:36:55 2009
Subject: Re: Depending on Artifacts not in central

BTW, we already wrote a proposal on this that got relatively little
feedback: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Artifact+resolution+and+repository+discovery

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Paul Gier<pg...@redhat.com> wrote:
Daniel Kulp wrote:

On Wed July 8 2009 4:13:24 pm Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

Paul Gier wrote:

One issue that will need to be resolved before we can sync, is how to
handle our rebuilt thirdparty jars.  For example, if a jboss project
needs to patch some thirdparty jar, rebuild it, and upload it to our
repository

AFAIK, somebody building a patched third-party artifact is supposed to
not deploy this derived artifact with its original group id but with the group id of the patch creator. So if JBoss creates a patched version of
say log4j, it would need to get deployed with org.jboss:log4j or
similar. This should be allowed to get synced into central as it can be
distinguished from the original log4j:log4j artifact of the project
owner.

Except there THEN becomes the issue if someone depends on the normal log4j
artifact as well as some JBoss artifact that then transitively pulls in
org.jboss:log4j, they end up with two versions of log4j on the classpath
with all kinds of non-fun things happening.

Dan

Yes, this is the major problem that we would have with changing the groupId for rebuilt artifacts. It works fine for small projects, but for a large
dependency tree it is currently a big hassle to try to track down and
exclude every place where the original groupId/artifactId is included
transitively.

Allowing some kind of global exclusions would be a good start (MNG-1977,
MNG-3196). We currently use the enforcer plugin, but I still have to add in exclusions every time the same dependency is reintroduced in a new location in the tree. Also, anyone depending on the JBoss project might then have to
add exclusions to their projects to get only the correct dependencies.

But ideally there would be some way to link groupId:artifactId combinations as suggested by Stephen and Carlos. This would also help resolve artifacts that are renamed between versions which happens occasionally. Is there any
work to handle this use case in Mercury?

Benjamin

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven