On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Stephen
Connolly<stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact we rarely deploy -SNAPSHOTs at all... the only time we have deployed
> -SNAPSHOT builds is when SV have a complex test scenario and we need to
> check the fix before we roll a big suite release

The normal best practice is to have a CI system deploying your snapshots.

> 2009/9/4 Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
>
>> I find that we have given up on unique snapshots....
>>
>> we just use non-unique all the time.
>>
>> if you need a unique snapshot, just roll a release, e.g. 1.0-milestone-1

I'm not condoning using the timestamp in lieu of a version number, in
fact that's pretty much impossible when you have a repo manager
cleaning up old snapshots. I just think it's more reliable in terms of
proxies and read/write access to files when you aren't stomping on the
same one over and over. And I also like to look in my repo or my
package and know exactly which snapshot i have in case there's a
discrepancy.