there did not seem a way out in 2.x for NAR to handle it correctly.

Regards
Mark Donszelmann

On Sep 4, 2009, at 10:36 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

Why not just incorporate the full coordinate in the metadata. This is also a problem for finding attached artifacts like javadocs and sources. There is no record of them in the metadata. If we had a complete catalog of the the artifacts deployed and not just for the primary this would not be an issues, yes?

On 2009-09-04, at 4:58 PM, Brian Fox wrote:

I was recently working with a customer to move them off of using
non-unique snapshots for various reasons. In the process we discovered
a problem with snapshots, classifiers and multi-platform builds.

In this scenario, we have a project that is built on multiple
platforms, say windows, solaris and mac. The binaries must be built on the target platform. The source is the same, so the gav is the same. A CI build actually consists of 3 builds running in parallel. Each build deploys a classified artifact where the classifier is the platform, ie
[windows|solaris|mac].

When we flipped them over to using timestamped snapshots, we uncovered
a problem. As each build finishes, maven increments the timestamp and
build number and deploys their artifacts. The trouble is that each
timestamped build consists of only 1/3 of the classified artifacts. So
for example, once the Mac target is deployed, the Windows SNAPSHOT
version is no longer able to be located because the maven- metadata.xml
says the latest is the Mac only build.

Since the source in this case is identical, having separate modules
for this seems out of the way. Classifier really is the right way to
distinguish between different flavors normally, but obviously this
doesn't work well when you have to produce the artifacts from separate
mvn invocations.

It feels to me like we need some better support in Maven to handle
these types of multi-platform builds, but I'm curious how people are
handling it now?

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven