On 05/09/2009, at 6:25 AM, Brian Fox wrote:

Just my 2 cents as a Maven evangelist in a big private company. Even if
Maven is around for years now, basic endusers just start to get
accustomed to pom.xml and Maven philosophy (really! people are far slowest to change than in OpenSource project team).

Please, please don't mess everything. Small additions are fine, but I think a new format is a bad idea even if it is optional. One of advantage of Maven is standardization across all our projects. If there are several format allowed, some projects will start using new one when others are still using the former and it will lead to a total mess.

That's my main concern as well to be honest.

Agreed - though I think it's the "optional" part that is bad.

Taking all the learnings and improving the format and making that the default should be a possibility. I'd want something very familiar, easy to recognise - the model is still the same, but the format might be different. Developers can learn those changes and their group can still standardise on one format, one version of Maven. The repository format can be standardised across versions and doesn't need to match (see other thread). Tools is the biggest problem - that's where "optional" hurts most. They can adapt and migrate but widening the options they need to work with other than for a finite set of versions of Maven is unreasonable.

- Brett