Ok.  Sounds workable.

Christian.
On Sep 8, 2009, at 4:00 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

On 2009-09-08, at 9:49 AM, Christian Edward Gruber wrote:

So - 2 points.

1. Who's saying you have to actually have YAML poms IN the maven project - as long as I can find a way to (through autodiscovery of some mechanism) not have to do crazy wrappers. You said these extension points would be there, so I'm happy. (do note the smiley)

These are not going to be discovered. You are going to have to support hooking in your format. Autodiscovery implies support on our side and that's not going to happen. That's not a trivial system to make work properly. I've tried and it's exactly the can of worms I'm talking about. It's a few lines of code on your side. So again, the onus is going to be on you to support your version of Maven that works with a given POM format. There will be no autodiscovery mechanism in 3.x.

2. Who's saying you ahve to change the internals of the maven pom in a way that would screw with integrations like m2eclipse, etc. Not I.

Neither did I, you misread. M2Eclipse won't even be able to read the POM. These tools use their own parsers which integrate into the given platform. In M2Eclipse we actually use EMF, not Maven's internal parser. I'm sure Netbeans and IDEA have similar mechanisms. So there isn't parity in the tooling either. The autodiscovery happening in the core and then being magically picked up in tooling is a pipe dream.

Note, I said canonical format, and someone else (can't remember who) pointed out that the object model is the truly canonical metadata model. That's fine with me. I'm talking about pre- generating in a way that's transparent from the CLI. If that's by extensions, fine. I just would rather not have mvn wrapper scripts to do it.

Ultimately in 3.x you'll be able to write your own front-end parser, extend or overwrite a Guice wiring to put in what you like and then you're ready to go. Or you could also make the autodiscovery mechanism you talked about and wire that in.