Brett Porter wrote:

From an execution PoV, I would still expect my pluginManagement blocks to apply
to a plugin called on the command line that is not otherwise in the POM.
However, if this makes things too complicated and we want to require a change
to include the plugin in the POM as well as the management for it to apply -
that is probably ok if it is documented.

Please don't mix different aspects here. I have not asked how a plugin should be configured when it gets executed. My question is about how

  MavenProject.getModel()

should look like. This is related but nevertheless independent from plugin configuration.

Benjamin