You do your coding work, I'll take care of the legal for you. The model of
everyone having to check everything is stupid. Code away, if I find a problem
we'll yank it.

On Jun 11, 2010, at 7:16 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> fr., 11.06.2010 kl. 06.35 -0700, skrev Jason van Zyl:
>> On Jun 10, 2010, at 11:27 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>>
>>> I have a memoizer
>>> (http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/listings/Memoizer.java) that
>>> I'd like to include "somewhere" in our code base. It's like 30 lines of
>>> code or so.
>>>
>>> Ï've seen this snippet of code (or extremely minor permutations of it)
>>> appear a number of places, under various lisence headers, for instance:
>>>
>>> http://www.koders.com/java/fid960BDFDD3A35D42E6652E79BA3F959A375024F0B.aspx?s=mdef%3Acompute
>>>

>>> What's the appropriate thing to do IP-wise wrt including such a piece of
>>> code ? The specific implementation I've linked to appears on page 108 of
>>> the "Java Concurrency in practice" book.
>>>

>> It's fine, bringing anything up on the legal lists here is a waste of time.
>> will check the code with the folks at Eclipse and let you know if there is
>> any problem.
>> Apache has no IP checking system at all so it's honestly generally useless
>> asking anyone here.
>> Eclipse has a real IP clearance mechanism with real lawyers, with a real set
>> of tools for
>> validation using humans, Black Duck and Palimida. If you've found a public
>> domain license
>> then you're fine, but I'll ask the Eclipse IP team.
>
> Sebb identified the piece of code as "public domain" via the official
> website of the book; I was looking in the hardcopy and couldn't find it
> in the printed book. So much for dead trees.
>
> Now the link Brett sent doesn't explicitly name "Public domain" as a
> "license" with compatibility constraints, but it seems implied in the
> section on Doug Lea's concurrent library:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#concurrent
>
> Kristian

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition