On Aug 4, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> My experience is that a high barrier to committ access actually makes life
> harder for committers.  I have commit access to Maven but not to plexus....
> sometimes when working on Maven Plugins I've found I need to do something in
> plexus to resolve an issue, and I've hit the wall because I have to stop to
> get committ access or start submitting patches and fight for sponsors...
> next thing you know my momentum is gone, and I move on to something else.

It's not going to be any different then with Guice, and it was easy to get
commit access to Plexus.

> If Aether has commit access for all Maven committers automatically, (and I'm
> not saying it doesn't) then a large part of my concerns can be removed...

No one is getting automatic commit access to Aether. Make contributions and
you'll get access. This is how it's worked with all our projects at Github and
that's worked fine. For example, as soon as some fellow came along with Clojure
support for Polyglot Maven we gave him access. There will be no blanket commit
privs for people who may, or may not, contribute anything. Sorry, but that
makes no sense to me as a practical way to run a project.