On 14 September 2010 06:22, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr> wrote:

> > So far I doubt that we can find any magic/heuristic that works for all
> > use cases. Hence I suggest that we go with some explicit configuration.
> > In detail, I propose a CLI option like
> >
> >    mvn <goals> --snapshot-versions gid,-gid:aid,*:aid
> >
> > This is meant to give a comma-separated list of glob-like
> > inclusion/exclusion patterns (exclusions marked by prefixing with '-' or
> > '!' like profiles) to denote the groupId:artifactId tuples of
> > projects/artifacts whose snapshots are acceptable for ranges during the
> > build. These patterns would be applied on the set of available versions
> > before the range filters them, i.e. even a range giving snapshots
> > explicitly like "[2.0-SNAPSHOT,)" would not select 2.0-SNAPSHOT unless
> > enabled on CLI for the artifact in question.
> this seems a reasonable approach IMHO
> clearly, it fixes my main concern: version ranges are back to mathematical
> notion
> I don't really understand the use cases where problems happen (even it has
> already been told), then my opinion on this point is not really a good
> indicator
>

> > This new option, -sv in short form, would apply to the entire reactor.
> > If somebody sees a good use case that requires to treat some projects
> > within a reactor differently or to treat project dependency resolution
> > and plugin resolution differently, please speak up.
> >
> > For the common case where one wants to consume snapshots of related
> > projects, there should be a way to avoid the addition of -sv to the CLI.
> > To address this case, I suggest to have Maven derive a default value for
> > the -sv option by considering the groupIds of all snapshot projects in
> > the reactor as inclusions. This is somewhat a combination of Mark's
> > option 2 and my other thought which should make Maven usually do the
> > right thing for builds, both during every day development and during a
> > release (where no snapshot projects are in the reactor and hence the
> > default -sv value would be emtpy and thereby disables any snapshots for
> > ranges).
> perhaps a special property in the pom.xml too, to avoid CLI-only and
> improve
> reproducibility? What would be the use case not covered by previous common
> case?

would the release plugin therefore have to remote the property during a
release and then put it back in again.... also properties are not known
until after the model is constructed at which point it's too late

I think we need something along the lines of benjamin's proposal, but I'd
like to see some concrete examples of how it would work, on e.g. a wiki page

-Stephen