Stephen Connolly wrote:

perhaps a special property in the pom.xml too, to avoid CLI-only and
improve reproducibility?

would the release plugin therefore have to remote the property during a
release and then put it back in again.... also properties are not known
until after the model is constructed at which point it's too late

I agree with Stephen, having a special property that other tooling like the Release Plugin needs to be aware of sounds like superfluous complexity. And whether it's a POM property or later a dedicated POM element, the process of model building already involves artifact resolution (parents, imports/mixins, extensions) so I really think the snapshot resolution behavior should be set up front and not change somewhere down the road.

Also, what exactly is the issue with "CLI-only"? I was once thinking about an addition to the settings.xml but that doesn't play nicely with the release process where you want Maven to never include snapshots.

I think we need something along the lines of benjamin's proposal, but I'd
like to see some concrete examples of how it would work, on e.g. a wiki page

Apart from diving into implementation details, my proposal is pretty detailed. So if something is unclear, please raise concrete questions.

Benjamin