remember that Maven is a core engine to run plugins.
Maven core does not depend on plexus-velocity [1], but maven-remote-resources-
plugin does [2]
Maven distribution does not contain every library needed by every plugin, but
the logic to download them (hence the "Maven downloads the internet" effect
some complain about).
Each plugin is isolated to have access to its dependencies independently from
others, and even independently from Maven core dependencies as much as
possible.

So I understand that you rebuilt Maven core from sources to match Gentoo
spirit.
What about core dependencies [1]? Did you download them (as done by build.xml)
or modified the build to use you own compiled from source version?
And what about dependencies needed by plugins?

What's your strategy about built-from-source vs binary-downloaded-from-
central-repository? Where do you put the limit? Do you intent to build your
own repository containing only artifacts built by Gentoo people?

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/2.2.1/apache-maven/dependencies.html

[2] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-remote-resources-