Actually the discussions I remember have explicitly favoured (3) (forking the
last ALv2 version) if no ALv2 licensed version is available anymore. There are
2 arguments for that: it's not only aether, it's also sisu and the other guice
stuff.

Aether and likes are core maven parts which are utterly important if we like to
maintain maven itself. Just check how deep aether is anchored in
DefaultMaven.java! The original decision was to introduce a 'pluggable
repository layer' which in my opinion would have meant to introduce a series of
interfaces and data holder classes in form of a SPI. But this very part has not
been implemented this way. Instead lots of internal details needs to be
addressed/controlled directly from inside Maven.

I tried to introduce such an interface layer for a few days but failed due to
the deep integration...

So I'd definitely -1 a EPL core dependency which once was part of maven core as
long as there is no ALv2 alternative which we can bugfix ourselfs!

LieGrue,
strub