Sure, those are only my personal .02!
It's a majority vote so it's not black/white of course.

It's also not a problem with EPL but just my personal thoughts about our (the
Apache Maven projects) ability to maintain Maven if a bug gets found.

In my opinion we just cannot guarantee that bugs in Maven which are caused by a
bug in aether can get effectively fixed. We just don't have it under our own
control if there is no safety net of being able to fork-and-fix anymore.

Btw, the Eclipse Foundation effectively demised projects because of external
dependencies which are not under their control. And that also had nothing to do
with any sentiment regarding a particular license but solely with the question
of the maintainability.

LieGrue,
strub