On Jul 17, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> Hi Jason!
>
> Eclipse doesn't have problems with consuming ALv2 dependencies because ALv2
> explicitly allows sublicensing - but EPL doesn't!
> So this is an unidirectional way and exactly the reason why we imo cannot do
> this.

The EPL also explicitly allows sublicensing. Look at the Grant of Rights in
2a[1]. Tomcat embeds the Eclipse Java Compiler for example. I'm not sure how
they distribute it, they can relicense and sublicense if they wish but I don't
believe they have to. I haven't looked at the distribution in a while. I think
you're talking about the EPL not allowing the relicensing of source code. Once
the code is EPL it remains so and this property is specifically for stability.
No one, for example, could ever take core parts of the Eclipse Platform and
relicense them to something that wasn't acceptable to the community. All
contributors retain copyright and so it would be almost impossible to relicense
anything in the Eclipse Platform. Everyone investing in the platform knows that
it's always going to be in that form. The cores of things remain EPL while
people can make extensions and license those under anything aside from strong
copy left licenses.

That all aside your argument did not appear to me to be a legal one, but that
Eclipse has problems with projects where other parties control the
dependencies. I think for one case in history an Apache project was forked
temporarily to make a release train. I believe in this case it was Ant. Aside
from that some OSGi manifests are added but generally Eclipse folks are happy
not to have to maintain everything. There's certainly no proliferation of forks
lying around at Eclipse, most contributions find their way back to the project
which is really how it should be IMO.

> Btw, you should know exactly how hard it is to pass Eclipse' IP review and
> stuff. Wasn't that the reason why you needed to drop a few plexus
> dependencies because of uncertain IP? They are careful, which is a good thing.

I'm intimately familiar with the process, yes. What does this have to do with
your original argument? Like all 3rd party libraries that are deemed to be
required the Eclipse legal team tracked down most of it and we
culled/reimplemented what we needed to. What has been sanctioned lives in the
maven runtime module in m2e-core. It's all in IPZilla.

> Couldn't you just put the ALv2/EPL dual licensing back in place and all are
> happy? Noone of us is eager to maintain aether or to fork it if not
> necessary. But otoh not being able to fork it if there were problems is imo a
> no-go.  Also, there are a few contributors eager to ship patches it seems...

Yes, that's Benson and he seems fine with Aether where it is and has even
agreed to sign the CLA. Kristian and Hervé are committers and also seem to be
fine with the current setup. The proposal for Aether at Eclipse has gone
live[2]. I stated previously that Aether would be an Eclipse project and that
Sonatype didn't wish to house this important library themselves. I believe the
Eclipse Foundation and the EPL are great things for open source projects.
Diversity is a good thing and working with many organizations to me has no
downside. I feel the Eclipse Foundation is the right place for Aether. Though
nothing stops you from forking the older ASL version, there's also nothing
stopping you from contributing to Aether at Eclipse.

[1]: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
[2]: http://eclipse.org/proposals/technology.aether/