Hi,
I have a requirement where I need to specify specific versions for a
set of (basic) plugins. Adding the versions to the pom isn't an option
because we need to set the plugin versions for a vast number of
_unrelated_ builds.
As I've found at [1], I've manually created a plugin-registry.xml file
with needed plugin versions added. In addition to that, I've created
maven-metadata-local.xml file in the m2 repo under the plugin
directories, pointing to <latest> and <release> versions.

But, unfortunately, these specified versions were not picked up by
mvn. I needed latest maven-compiler-plugin version 2.3.2, but it
always try to use 2.0.2. I've noticed that [1] is somewhat outdated
because --check-plugin-latest parameter doesn't available anymore. So,
I'm asking, does the plugin-registry.xml is still used by maven? If
not what is the mechanism for specifying specific plugin versions
(apart from current/parent pom)?

(I've seen in some posts that the plugin-registry.xml isn't used
anymore, but debug mode shows that mvn retrieves data from that file.
) Apparently, maven-metada-local.xml isn't created automatically for
me either. How I can instruct mvn to do that?

My plugin-registry.xml is at [2]. (There wasn't a template for that.
So, hope the format is correct!). maven-metadata-local.xml of
maven-compiler-plugin is at [3].
I'm using official apache maven-2.2.1 build.

Your help is much appreciated.

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-plugin-registry.html
[2] http://pastebin.com/yprQU2D2