But why ?  simply have a top level parent pom that is solely for defining
your plugin versions (and anything else that may cover all of your
projects), you don't need any project specific logic in there.  The parent
doesn't need to list any of the children that use it (and act as an
aggregator), that is just a common use of a parent.

Damian