On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Damian Bradicich
<dbradic...@sonatype.com> wrote:
> But why ?  simply have a top level parent pom that is solely for defining
> your plugin versions (and anything else that may cover all of your
> projects), you don't need any project specific logic in there.  The parent
> doesn't need to list any of the children that use it (and act as an
> aggregator), that is just a common use of a parent.

This would not work because the parent-pom file you are saying will be
static. By static I meant that the parent pom file can not be modified
later on after it goes in to the m2 repo. So, when a need arise to add
a new plugin version, how it can be done?
The way to do this is by maintaining maven-metadata.xml files which
exists one per plugin under m2 repo (for example, for
maven-compiler-plugin, it's in
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/maven-metadata*.xml).
This way, I don't have a problem when a new plugin is added to the
repo, right?

It doesn't really matter whether this can be done via
maven-metadata.xml or by some other means. We just need to make the
setting details file per-plugin.

--Kasun