I can help out a bit with documentation as I've helped authoring a guideline
over at the CouchDb and DeltaSpike projects (where we both use GIT)

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Git_At_Apache_Guide
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SVNvsGIT

Some of it needs updating. Especially since I consider the 'experiment' to be
successful.

LieGrue,
strub