Just to clarify additionally: There are existing read-only clones of a
lot of our projects (i'm sure infra can make the rest if they have
value)

Some of these are excellent and  of high quality (surefire, m3 + it's
are the ones I know of) while at least maven-plugins is useless (due
to a strange interpretation of tags - try checking out a tag in the
current maven-plugins git clone !!!). So we need to collect the
assessments of which repos are "migration ready" and which are not.
Any community input on this would be great! (If you've used the clone
and find that tags/branches etc work according to expectations we're
cool)

For those that are migration ready the process is is something like this:

1. Have infra make the existing read-only mirror the official master.
2. Change scm url in pom
3. Update github mirroring url (file issue with github)
4. Celebrate

For those that for /some/ reason are not ready, we need to resolve
what needs to be done.

Kristian