Hi,

2012/9/14 Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>:
> I updated the docs at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/git-workspace-plugin
> to include a branch/branchless strategy.
>
> A branch based strategy is real badass if you're comfortable with
> branches. Arguably most git n00bs are not used to a version control
> system with a well functioning branch concept, so a branchless mode of
> operation is required.
Yup that's cool and IMHO could be the default option.
My personnal opinion on that.
As far I can see most git beginners use git as they use svn. (hey do
you remember when you started git and fully break your local clone
trying to merge some local branches: don't say to me it never happened
:-) )
So our maven tooling must be accessible for the mass (sure extra
options for geek/nerds is always welcome :-) ) and be operational for
basic/daily stuff of majority of dev folks.

> As can be seen from the wiki, I am somewhat at loss for a good
> branchless solution. I think the best solution is probably to support
> "trunk only" when running branchless, effectively
> just move all the checked out dependencies to SNAPSHOT and use trunk
> for everything. I think we can call it svn mode ;)
Yup again we must try to build the most generic plugin for most used
scm (sure better to concentrate efforts on most populars: svn and
git).

IMHO we have a generic tool for building daily operations which must
not be focused only on the current "à la mode" scm.

And btw some maven projects (I don't want to be focused on tools only
for Apache Maven sources) will continue to use for long dependencies
with some mix of scm.

My 0.02 euros.