what is complex with say am openjpa enhancer mojo?
Still this will break depending what the project configures in it's
persistence.xml.

Just an idea for now:
The safe route might be a plugin-plugin annotatation which tells us 'plugin
uses slf4j' in that case it gets exposed, in other cases it doesn't.

Old maven versions will ignore the tag in plugin.xml and mvn-3.1++ will
evaluate it and add slf4j injection support for those plugins.

LieGrue,
strub