On 07.12.2012 18:52, Anders Hammar wrote:
This still will not help Sonar today but we can also add some heuristics
to help plugins like the Sonar plugin. If we inspect the dependencies and
see SLF4J is there we can block SLF4J from the plugin's classloader. I'm
not sure yet how this will work for Mojo.log() or injected loggers but that
might not matter for plugins that get no SLF4J system from the core because
its doing it's own thing.

I'm thinking this will introduce another problem. If a plugin wants to use
slf4j for logging instead of Plexus logger, but want the logging to be
handled by core's logging. They would then need to declare a dependency to
slf4j-api. If they're only supporting v3.1+, then they could declare a
provided scope dependency and not include a dep to an impl. But if they
want their plugin to work with older Maven versions as well (which they
very likely want), then they need to have a compile scope dependency to
slf4j AND an impl.

So true. Every plugin would want to be compatible with Maven 3.1 as well as older versions. As such, I withdraw by earlier "worse-is-better" logging policy.

/Anders

--
Ceki
65% of statistics are made up on the spot