My thoughts:
99.5% (or more) of the maven users will not care one way or another what
logging impl we use.  They won't configure anything beyond -X.   They won't try
changing loggers.   They won't muck with the configs.  Etc..   They just run
"mvn" and expect it to work.

For the remaining <0.5%, no matter what we do, we will need to document things
clearly about how to configure things.   For these folks, they are generally
"experts" and thus a couple extra steps to replace a logging framework, edit
configs, etc… is not a big deal at all.  (again, DOCUMENT this all clearly or
provide a nice maven plugin or something to do it for them)

My preference, in order:

slf4j-jdk14
slf4j-simple
log4j2
slf4j-log4j

and then a big gap to logback.

The first two are there as they would provide the least amount of "extra
dependencies", complexity, etc…  That said, we know slf4j-simple has issues.
Not sure if anyone has even tried slf4j-jdk14.   For our CLI case, I don't see
any advantage of logback over log4j2 or slf4j-log4j.    If the entire argument
is around wanting something "battle tested", go for slf4j-log4j.   It's
certainly used by more projects than logback and more people would already know
it's configuration options.   Personally, I find the "number of projects"
argument annoying and mostly irrelevant.  (and at least 2 of the "Apache 8"
projects that are on the logback homepage don't use logback, they now use
slf4j-log4j)

Thus, it comes down to two major things for me:

1) License issues - (sorry Stephen, this IS an issue)  I fully plan to vote -1
for logback if/when presented to the PMC for approval.   There are very good
options that would work just as well for our needs that are not EPL.

2) Community - Ceki is great, no doubt about it, but at the end of the day,
logback is pretty much a one man show.   Apache is more about "community" and
"community over code" and all that.   I strongly prefer something that has a
community behind it, or, at the very least, is open to developing a community
behind it.   Major bonus points if that community already contains Maven PMC
members/committers on it.    If *we* run into issues, I strongly prefer that
*we* can get those issues fixed.

If two options are functionally and technically equivalent (within reasonable
limits), then I'll take the community driven, permissive licensed version.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp