On 3 March 2013 22:41, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I see it, you are using the version number to communicate with the
> tiny number of people who have made plugins that depend on Aether.
>
> I would rather see us use the version number to communicate with the
> vast number of people who use Maven.
>
> So, I'd switch to Eclipse Aether, including the need to fork a few
> plugins, as 3.2, and use the number 4.0.0 for a version that has real
> user-visible impact and value.

Well I agree with Semantic Versioning, so the question here that dictates
3.2 vs 4.0 is whether we see Sonatype Aether as part of the exposed
supported API of Maven. IIRC the stated position is that plugin authors are
not supposed to rely on the Sonatype Aether API. If plugin authors have
relied on it then they are responsible for ensuring that the plugin works
in its absence... that would strongly indicate that 3.2 (or 3.1 if at the
same time as SLF4J) is the correct SemVer version... but if you view the
Sonatype Aether API as being part of the exposed supported API of Maven (as
opposed to leaked unsupported API) then 4.0 would be the correct SemVer

-Stepjen