Also, wrt. the original question...

I believe when using the old javadoc annotations you had to add an "expression"
attribute to allow a parameter to be overridden from the command-line:

        "NOTE: If neither default-value nor expression are specified, the
parameter can only be configured from the POM."

        From http://maven.apache.org/developers/mojo-api-specification.html

In the Java5 annotations the "expression" attribute was renamed to "property":

        https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPLUGIN-196

So AFAICT the behaviour is the same (though I haven't dug any deeper or tested
this hypothesis) - so I think it's more a matter of improving the docs than
changing code.