I changed the strategy slightly as I thought it might be crappy if the issue
was created 5 years ago, but the person updated it 2 months ago. So I took all
the issues that have not been updated in the last year and unassigned and
closed those out. Got to about the same number and thought this more fair.

I referred anyone looking at the comment to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/The+Great+JIRA+Cleanup+of+2014

I'll start sifting through what remains tomorrow.

On Jan 22, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:

> Yup, it's very straight forward to add a comment to each of the issues that
> will be closed. When I publish the accompanying documentation I can point the
> comment at the documentation. Good call.
>
> On Jan 22, 2014, at 12:16 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>
>> Sure, good idea. I assume there's a relatively straight forward way to do
>> that with a bulk operation.
>>
>> On Jan 22, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I advise that we add a comment in each closing issue explaining that it was
>>> closed specifically because it's more than 2 years old and to re-open it
>>> only if it is still valid. Otherwise, it will look very rude to close a
>>> ticket without an explanation.
>>>
>>> BTW, what I just recommended was done by JBoss Hibernate and Spring
>>> Framework when they cleared out their old tickets. It was great to know
>>> their reasoning.

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Paul
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
>> Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
>> actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
>> is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
>> looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
>> you look at, the more general your framework will be.
>>
>> -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks
>>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>
> A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
> business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
> be omnipotent for a while.
>
>  -- Jakob Burckhardt

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)